Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wired

We came home from taking a much needed 6 day break to view the progress the electricians have made. It is astounding the amount of wire there is now - not to mention holes in the walls upstairs as that entire floor had to be rewired to conform to new codes. And they are still not finished!

The electrical wiring has to dovetail with the low voltage wiring. Whaaaat??? I am now an expert - well, not really an expert, but at least now I have some slight idea what they are talking about with low voltage, which is: drum roll....security system, internet, cable, telephone and sound system. I assume that the term "low voltage" means something, but, to me, it's just everything else except the lights.

The guy we are working with is very passionate about his profession and extremely knowledgeable and detailed, which means that we generally don't have a clue what he is talking about. His son works with him and helps translate. For instance "network jack" means the hardwired ethernet cable for the internet. Oh. That took five minutes to translate. Oy. Fla Remodel Guy kept disappearing from the room and I kept getting Bob the Builder to bring him back. It was not pretty.

Anyway, we started with a Ferrari (i.e. have the system send hourly updates to your iPhone about what the house is thinking and doing), which was about 3 times over budget. I don't want my iPhone to know those things, so we finally whittled it down to a Ford (except for the den, which is a Mercedes) and are somewhere near the budget, I think. We will have speakers in every room downstairs, in addition to the wine room, so I can blast music as loud as I want when the Guy is not home. I try to turn it down when he is around. When we are 80, he will have better hearing than I will, but will still pretend not to hear a thing I say. Why should it be any different then?

1 comment:

  1. I KNEW there would be a story when you got home. And I was right! Glad you can blast out the neighbors now!

    ReplyDelete